Adapted from Melissa Clark, NYTimes
A dense, rich tea bread with a delightful lighty spiced citrus flavor that comes from our Cardamom knows Zest. This not-overly-sweet cake is studded with pieces of candied Seville orange peel from our marmalade. Perfect for teatime.
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 1.5 hours
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup Cardamom knows Zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together softened butter, sugar about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Beat in Cardamom knows Zest and the orange juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Fold dry ingredients into wet until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until surface of cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer pan to a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes; turn cake out of pan and place on rack right side up.
- Cool completely before slicing.