featuring The Berry Last Straw | Adapted from Mindy Segal with Kate Leahy, Cookie Love
Take two classics – thumbprint cookies and peanut butter & jelly – put them together and you have a hit on your hands. This is a multi-step prep, but these are fantastic cookies. We recommend The Very Last Straw, as a traditional pairing; but Apricot Red-Handed, Razzle Bazzle, or To Peach His Own also work great. And of course, they’re best enjoyed with a glass of cold milk.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes + chilling time
Yield: 40 cookies
- ½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup beer nuts (roasted red-skinned peanuts)
- ½ cup The Berry Last Straw
- Use a beater to mix the butter and both sugars on medium until the butter is light and airy, 3-4 minutes. Add peanut butter and mix on medium until thoroughly combined. Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix until the batter starts to resemble coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and both salts.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once to the butter mixture and mix on low until the dough comes together but still looks shaggy, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Stretch out a long sheet of plastic wrap onto a work surface and place the dough on top. Pat the dough into a 6-by-8-inch rectangle and wrap dough with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the beer nuts just until they are just finely ground.
- Cut the dough lengthwise into 5 even strips. Roll the strips back and forth into logs to round out the edges and each log is about 9” long.
- Cut each log into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece all over in the ground nuts; then place the pieces cut-side up on the prepared baking sheet.
- With the tip of your thumb, make an indentation into the center of each cookie and slightly flatten the cookie. Spoon The Berry Last Straw into the center of each thumbprint.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes, until the cookies begin to crack a bit on the top and are just set.