featuring Can You Fig It | Adapted from Laura B Russell, Brassicas
Ever wonder how they get brussel sprouts to actually taste good these days? Wonder no more -- we've created the easiest way for you to do it! We combine crispy sprouts with bacon and Can You Fig It for a glaze that hits all the sweet, salty, and umami notes you could ask for.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if large) through the stem end (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Can You Fig It
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Trim Brussels sprouts and steam until par-cooked firm tender. Half or quarter, if large.
- In a large (12 inches or wider) frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small bowl.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the Brussels sprouts, keeping them in a single layer as much as possible. Having a few extra sprouts is fine, but if they are mounded in a pile, they will not brown or cook evenly. If necessary, use a larger pan, cook them in two batches, or pull out the extra for another use. Stir in the salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and well browned—even charred in spots. If the sprouts are browning too quickly, lower the heat to medium.
- Add Can You Fig It and the water and stir until the jam melts and coats the Brussels sprouts. Add the reserved bacon and the pepper and stir to combine. Taste and add additional salt or pepper if needed. Serve warm.